Skip to main content

Making Sense of Art


As I found when I first moved to France, you don’t have to look far for ‘cultural’ or artistic events and activities. One great example is a parade I attended this past weekend which was the opening ceremony for a Biannual Dance festival. I went to the parade knowing that it mostly highlighted performances from local dance studios. I don’t know much about dance, but the performances were really surprising to me. Obviously hours had been poured into the choreography of the different groups, the costumes, the timing, the music, and I thought on the whole it was really well done. What surprised me, though, was that for a very big, well advertised parade the choice of dance was contemporary, and at times, just plain weird. In my mind, contemporary art in any form remains fairly inaccessible to the general public. This kind of thing doesn’t shock people here, but I have a feeling it would be less well received in the US.

The question is, why? Not so much why wouldn’t a French person find this weird (I spoke to some French people who saw the same parade, they also found it strange at times), but rather, why is art, strange art, accepted here as a normal thing to see parading down the street?

The answer, I believe, is that the French have a more constant and regular contact with art in all forms. Contemporary art requires thinking and engagement. Even if everyone’s not on board with what it represents, these qualities of thinking and engaging are present in different forms throughout French culture. For example, philosophy is a main subject in all high school curricula and students taking the nationwide baccalauréat often have to answer questions like:  “What is the role of art in society?” or “Are all beliefs contrary to reason?”. If you look on the Wikipedia pages for French presidents during the 20th century, they all have a ‘publications’ or ‘bibliography’ section. This is not for books published on them, or for their biographies or autobiographies. This section is for books they wrote on various subjects, often political but sometimes literary as well (translations, biographies on other Frenchmen of the past, that sort of thing). In short, from your average high school student who is forced to read about Rousseau, to the elected leader of your country who is also a writer, to the literary talk shows on TV where they invite current authors to discuss books, art and ‘culture’ are everywhere.

So getting back to my original question, why is it more acceptable to have this kind of parade here? Because it’s expected high school students can think and reason about philosophers. Because politicians are considered more legitimate if they write books. And because you expect that if a large crowd of people see a parade with contemporary dance, even if they don’t understand it, they can recognize what it is and know that it’s part of a tradition of art.

Comments

  1. "Contemporary art requires thinking and engagement"...thanks for putting into words why I like modern art. I agree, though, I saw some really bizarre art in France as well and your perspective on it is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple comme bonjour

The title of this post Simple comme bonjour (literally 'easy as hello') is a French expression used to mean that something is easy, roughly the equivalent of 'easy as pie' in English.  There are certain things that you need to know in order to function in society in France, and especially, in order to be treated like a normal human being by others. One of these is the importance of greetings and closings, or more specifically, the use of hello and goodbye. This may sound silly, but don’t be fooled.   It is, in my opinion, one of the most important social cues in France. And without prior cultural knowledge, there's nothing simple about it.  Hello and goodbye (bonjour and au revoir) structure your interaction with just about anyone in France.  When I get onto an elevator with a stranger, I say hello and goodbye. When I enter a store, the clerk and I both say ‘hello’ and make eye contact. And obviously, when I meet up with friends or family, I will also

Taking on l'éducation nationale

The past two weeks in France could seem strange to a tourist visiting the country: within days streets that were empty for weeks while most of the country was on vacation all of a sudden became busy again. It’s that time of year again: back to school!  La rentrée (literally the return, or rather, start of the school year) is no small matter in France. Rather than a progressive return to school over the course of a month or so (as I would describe the process in the U.S.), back to school in France happens all on the same day (September 4 this year).  This, like many other things in France, is due to high centralization and the massive establishment that is known as l’éducation nationale. In keeping with the cultural interest of this blog, I’d like to begin to dig into this beast that is l’éducation nationale. As a foreigner, I’ve been lucky to get an inside look into the school system here, both at the high school and university levels. I’m convinced, from what I’ve seen so

What Language Is and Isn't

My days here in France are often spent straddling two linguistic worlds. My professional life ‘happens’ mostly in English, thinking about its mechanics, how to explain ‘x’ grammar point, and how to speak clearly to my students. My personal life revolves around French, which we speak at home.  In short, thinking about language is a large part of my day, and in this post I’d like to comment on some reflections I have about language and language learning. Since moving to France, the place of French in my life has changed. Whereas in the US it was a beautiful object to admire, to study, to practice, here it is my survival tool, my key to sorting out my life in every way from administration to asking for something in a different size in a store.  French is my lifeline. My command of it, on both a linguistic and a pragmatic level, can make or break many situations. This can sometimes put me at a disadvantage, but this is also something you have to accept as a f