Skip to main content

Paris and the 5 senses

Having just returned from a trip to Paris, I’ve been thinking a lot about the French capital city. One of the first things I realized when reflecting on Paris is how many memories I have of the city, particularly from my very first trip there. So to take this in a more narrative direction, I’m going to write in this post about my very first encounter with Paris and my memories that touch all five senses.



My first trip to Paris was in January 2001 for about 10 days with a small group of students from my high school and our two high school French teachers. At the time I only had 1 semester of French under my belt, and although I could string together sentences, I still hadn’t yet learned past tense, and didn’t know the word for chicken.

I remember feelings, like waking up exhausted in the morning from jetlag to get our early morning hotel breakfast (croissants, bread and hot chocolate). The sun comes up later in France, and so it was still dark in the morning until about 8 :30, 9 am. I remember savoring particularly long subway rides so I could catch a quick nap. I also remember the knot in my stomach before going into a tourist store on rue Mouffetard to buy souvenirs. It was only the first or second day of our trip, and it was the first time I was alone and needed to communicate by myself with a French person (I don’t remember the exchange so it must of have been 
fine !)

I remember smells. That year the perfume Dior Addict had just come out. I remember  smelling its powerful, spicy scent wafting through the metro off of chic French women’s scarves. This perfume contrasted with the smell of the metro itself, which is unique only to the Paris metro and doesn’t exist anywhere else in the world. Whenever I go to Paris today, the smell of the metro always brings about some nostalgia from that first trip.

I remember, of course, the sights. The characteristic sights, like the Eiffel tower, Notre Dame, the Seine. But there’s also an understated sophistication in Paris, in the grace of the Haussmanian architecture, in the elegance of the art nouveau metro signs. Just as much as the typical tourist spots were a feast for the eyes, I also remember inescapable advertisements on the metro. Galéries Lafayette, a French department store, had ads all over the place for its yearly January sales. I even remember that one ad had the French spelling for ‘shhh’ written on it (chutttt) and me and the other students spent a lot of time musing over it and what it could mean. I bought magazines in French that I still have, keeping them as a relic from my trip and wanting to decipher as much as possible. 

I remember the tastes and my wonder at discovering French food. I loved trying new things and trying to decipher complex French menus. Hot chocolate, crêpes, delicate salads, hearty traditional French dishes, I wanted to document everything I ate and took pictures of a lot of my meals. I thought everything I ate tasted wonderful. I quickly learned to appreciate the typical 3 course restaurant ‘menu’ at a fixed price. And I discovered the wonderful idea that in France, dessert is a part of the meal, not just an extra at the end. I took special care at each meal to try a different dessert, some I had already heard of like mousse au chocolat and crème brûlée, and some that were new to me, like île flottante, crème caramel, and profiteroles.

I remember the sounds, and trying to find my way through spoken French. Even though my level was low, I stayed in a hotel room with three other girls who had advanced levels in French. They were really great with me and we spoke French all the time, and I’m sure this helped me a lot in my progress. Things like learning to correctly pronounce the word ‘arrêt’, French for subway stop. The word has a silent ‘t’, meaning it should sound like array. If you pronounce the ‘t’ on the end, you are saying the word for fish bone ! I also remember, strangely, the first time I correctly used the verb ‘can’ or ‘be able to’ in French and was praised by my teacher.

On that trip, everything seemed momentous, and I wanted to document and remember every second. I saved every single piece of paper I collected: receipts from souvenir purchases, paper napkins from a restaurant I liked, a flyer about things that were happening that week. I think at that time it didn’t occur to me that I could and would return to Paris, and I suppose I was trying to bring back as much physical evidence as possible.

My views about Paris have changed over time. I still think it’s an extremely beautiful, rich city that always has something to explore. But I would probably never want to live there. Because now I also see Paris for what I couldn’t see when I was 15 : a chaotic, bustling city where rent is extremely high and life moves very quickly. It’s probably great to live in Paris if you can find an apartment, and don’t need to worry about money. Paris is also extremely touristy. This certainly didn’t bother me on my first trip. But now, having friends who live there, I have a better sense of how tiring it must be to always run into tourists.
No caption needed. 


In the end, my enthusiasm about my first trip to Paris was not so much about Paris itself. It really was my initiation into French language, life and culture. It was literally the world, a new world, opening up for me and I think that’s why I have so many clear, fond memories. That trip to Paris was what fueled and inspired me to continue, because I saw just how much I was able to do with so little language. Paris doesn’t quite hold the wonder it did for me on the first trip, some of which was surely due to its newness. But it will always represent and remind me of what initially fascinated me and drew me to French.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple comme bonjour

The title of this post Simple comme bonjour (literally 'easy as hello') is a French expression used to mean that something is easy, roughly the equivalent of 'easy as pie' in English.  There are certain things that you need to know in order to function in society in France, and especially, in order to be treated like a normal human being by others. One of these is the importance of greetings and closings, or more specifically, the use of hello and goodbye. This may sound silly, but don’t be fooled.   It is, in my opinion, one of the most important social cues in France. And without prior cultural knowledge, there's nothing simple about it.  Hello and goodbye (bonjour and au revoir) structure your interaction with just about anyone in France.  When I get onto an elevator with a stranger, I say hello and goodbye. When I enter a store, the clerk and I both say ‘hello’ and make eye contact. And obviously, when I meet up with friends or family, I will also

What Language Is and Isn't

My days here in France are often spent straddling two linguistic worlds. My professional life ‘happens’ mostly in English, thinking about its mechanics, how to explain ‘x’ grammar point, and how to speak clearly to my students. My personal life revolves around French, which we speak at home.  In short, thinking about language is a large part of my day, and in this post I’d like to comment on some reflections I have about language and language learning. Since moving to France, the place of French in my life has changed. Whereas in the US it was a beautiful object to admire, to study, to practice, here it is my survival tool, my key to sorting out my life in every way from administration to asking for something in a different size in a store.  French is my lifeline. My command of it, on both a linguistic and a pragmatic level, can make or break many situations. This can sometimes put me at a disadvantage, but this is also something you have to accept as a f

Taking on l'éducation nationale

The past two weeks in France could seem strange to a tourist visiting the country: within days streets that were empty for weeks while most of the country was on vacation all of a sudden became busy again. It’s that time of year again: back to school!  La rentrée (literally the return, or rather, start of the school year) is no small matter in France. Rather than a progressive return to school over the course of a month or so (as I would describe the process in the U.S.), back to school in France happens all on the same day (September 4 this year).  This, like many other things in France, is due to high centralization and the massive establishment that is known as l’éducation nationale. In keeping with the cultural interest of this blog, I’d like to begin to dig into this beast that is l’éducation nationale. As a foreigner, I’ve been lucky to get an inside look into the school system here, both at the high school and university levels. I’m convinced, from what I’ve seen so