Skip to main content

Why Dress Up for the Gym?

What do you wear to go the gym/to work out? Do you care about having the latest fancy adapted workout clothes (special bike shorts? running pants?), fix your hair, put on makeup? Or are you like me, and sometimes make an effort, but also sometimes just throw on an old faded t-shirt and pants and are ready to go?

This question has sparked a small debate in my household and opens up discussions of clothes in general in France.

My significant other, who is French, is very interested in dressing well in general (and he does!). The gym is no exception - he will style his hair and would probably avoid wearing sneakers that were somehow not coordinated with his clothes.

My argument : Who cares? This is one place where how I'm dressed doesn't matter, I'm just going to sweat anyway.

His argument: There are other people there, therefore it is important!

This small example, while maybe not the same across the board for everyone, illustrates a larger issue of appearance in France that is different, in my opinion, than in the US.

In France dressing nicely is something you do for others. It may make you feel good and put together, but ultimately you're showing that you respect a certain social order, that you understand the social codes of how to present yourself physically.

We can contrast this with the opposite extreme: my American university students when I was teaching college-level French in the US. Being in a large university in the center of Illinois, where winters are very cold, it was pretty usual in the winter time to see students bundled up wearing essentially sweatpants and snow boots for most of the season. Students wore lots of hoodies and t-shirts and the general dress code from the Midwest (where I'm from originally) is pretty casual. People prefer comfort to style. This obviously doesn't apply everywhere in the US, and I'd say especially in big cities we can observe a different trend.

But I still think we have the mentality in America that how you are dressed is your own issue. If you decide to dress up, good for you, but it's more of an individual choice, and maybe reflects our more  individualist mindset. Honestly, do you think about dressing up to go to the grocery store? Here I think twice about what I'm wearing before I leave the house.

In one of these college French courses I taught, I had a group of students who were going to France for a semester. One of the pieces of advice I gave them was to be careful of how they dressed, at least when they had to do something important or official (meeting at the bank, paperwork filing at the Préfecture). Because the fact of the matter is, if they went to an important meeting for paperwork, they would already have the difficulty of getting respect as young foreigners with limited French. If they added on top of that a sloppy or too casual appearance, it really could work to their disadvantage.

One thing that often strikes Americans coming to France is also the degree that men work on their appearance. Men's clothes (again I can attest this from my partner) in the US often run large and sizes are enormous. Here men tend to wear clothing that are more closely fitted, and shoes that are often sleek and pointy. My significant other remembers the days when he was in college, still living at home, and would spend his part-time job money clothes shopping with his friends in expensive stores.

The 'social order' is a powerful, implicit force in France that extends beyond clothing. When people are in public, there is a certain way you act and react to others. Your ability to follow social codes indicates your ability to understand your place in society as a whole, and most importantly, your ability to interact with society in a harmonious, productive way. This may sound a little extreme, but in practice it comes down to simple things. A previous post on the important of greetings and closings (Bonjour/Au revoir) is part of this social order, an official recognition showing that you know and observe the rules of society.

In the US I think we don't have quite as much of this. If someone is acting strange, or weird, or dressed oddly, he/she may get a reaction, but my sense is that it wouldn't be as strong as in France. On the contrary, uniqueness is often considered as positive.


I do think about how I dress and how I present myself in France. It's important, all the more since I'm a teacher and look young to many of my students. But the gym is one place where I won't give up my American ways.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple comme bonjour

The title of this post Simple comme bonjour (literally 'easy as hello') is a French expression used to mean that something is easy, roughly the equivalent of 'easy as pie' in English.  There are certain things that you need to know in order to function in society in France, and especially, in order to be treated like a normal human being by others. One of these is the importance of greetings and closings, or more specifically, the use of hello and goodbye. This may sound silly, but don’t be fooled.   It is, in my opinion, one of the most important social cues in France. And without prior cultural knowledge, there's nothing simple about it.  Hello and goodbye (bonjour and au revoir) structure your interaction with just about anyone in France.  When I get onto an elevator with a stranger, I say hello and goodbye. When I enter a store, the clerk and I both say ‘hello’ and make eye contact. And obviously, when I meet up with friends or family, I will also

What Language Is and Isn't

My days here in France are often spent straddling two linguistic worlds. My professional life ‘happens’ mostly in English, thinking about its mechanics, how to explain ‘x’ grammar point, and how to speak clearly to my students. My personal life revolves around French, which we speak at home.  In short, thinking about language is a large part of my day, and in this post I’d like to comment on some reflections I have about language and language learning. Since moving to France, the place of French in my life has changed. Whereas in the US it was a beautiful object to admire, to study, to practice, here it is my survival tool, my key to sorting out my life in every way from administration to asking for something in a different size in a store.  French is my lifeline. My command of it, on both a linguistic and a pragmatic level, can make or break many situations. This can sometimes put me at a disadvantage, but this is also something you have to accept as a f

Taking on l'éducation nationale

The past two weeks in France could seem strange to a tourist visiting the country: within days streets that were empty for weeks while most of the country was on vacation all of a sudden became busy again. It’s that time of year again: back to school!  La rentrée (literally the return, or rather, start of the school year) is no small matter in France. Rather than a progressive return to school over the course of a month or so (as I would describe the process in the U.S.), back to school in France happens all on the same day (September 4 this year).  This, like many other things in France, is due to high centralization and the massive establishment that is known as l’éducation nationale. In keeping with the cultural interest of this blog, I’d like to begin to dig into this beast that is l’éducation nationale. As a foreigner, I’ve been lucky to get an inside look into the school system here, both at the high school and university levels. I’m convinced, from what I’ve seen so