Skip to main content

This Is Dedicated to The Hip Hop



Regarding the title of this entry, you may be asking yourself one of many questions. Is this a post about hip hop? Or possibly you picked up on the grammar error in the title. The hip hop what- style? genre? singers?

Although it sounds like something one of my students would have written, the title of this post is actually taken from some graffiti I saw on the street right here in France (see picture below). Yes, this graffiti was written in English and it’s not an isolated case. I picked this particular one because of the article error (use of the word ‘the’), but also because it’s a good introduction to a topic which is very current in France: the presence, and predominance of English.

Whoever wrote this graffiti was probably influenced by pop culture imported from the US. Foreigners who come to France are often shocked by the amount of English heard and seen in popular culture. French radio and cinema have actually put into place quotas for French films, so the market here will not be completely overrun by American music and films. My local video store is a great example. I would say there are equal percentages of French and American movies available for rental. There are films from other countries, of course, but none equal in number to the American films.

 


As an English teacher, I also get to see the place of the language in the educational system. English is a requirement, for every student, everywhere. Students sometimes begin in elementary school, sometimes in middle school, but by high school you can guarantee that any French student has English class. This does not mean that all French people speak English, but it does demonstrate the institutionalization of English and its recognition as an important language.
                                                                                                
So English has a strong hold in culture, has a solid position in the educational system, but the most fascinating, and sometimes frustrating phenomenon about English that I want to talk about is its insertion and evolution in French language.

I started learning French when I was 15, and remember clearly and distinctly certain ‘faux amis’ (false friends) that I was taught to avoid like the plague. False friends are words that are not translatable between English and French. This is tricky because there are many shared words between French and English, but also many exceptions. Some simple examples:

completely = complètement
organization = organisation

but

currently = actuellement
actually = en fait
and so on and so forth.

Imagine my horror when one day I heard one of the words I had always worked so hard to avoid saying, from the mouth of a French person. The word was ‘challenge’ which I had learned was ‘défi’ in correct French. I found myself ridiculously trying to correct the French person who said this word.

In the case of ‘challenge,’ in French it has the same meaning as in English. But what’s even more baffling is that there are also many English words that are borrowed and the meaning is distorted or completely different. Two examples:

C’est le beans = it’s a mess, it’s chaos
fashion victim = someone who really likes clothes and shopping

Keep in mind that if you were to hear these words spoken in France you probably wouldn’t understand them. French people pronounce most borrowed words from English with a French accent, which makes them almost unrecognizable.

More and more stores, agencies, companies make advertisements in English, you see more and more English expressions in magazines and newspapers. In short, English is in fashion in French. Nevermind if the meaning isn’t quite the same as in English, or if there are grammar mistakes (as in the graffiti example).

So English, in addition to its place as a ‘global language’ important in business and travel, and its dominance in culture, is also in France quite simply ‘chic’ and fashionable to use. English words that were previously not used slowly creep into the everyday, spoken language. I think of these words as Frenchified versions of English, to the point where they become something new and  distinctly French.

And so, this post is dedicated not to the hip hop, but to the use of English. Its overuse, misuse, and modification in no way indicate French people’s command or mastery of English, or their awareness of Anglo-Saxon culture. They’ve embraced it as a necessary evil, as a cultural model, and as a fashion statement. As for me, I stand by what I learned in high school. I’ll keep saying ‘défi’ and stay far far away from ‘challenge’.

 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple comme bonjour

The title of this post Simple comme bonjour (literally 'easy as hello') is a French expression used to mean that something is easy, roughly the equivalent of 'easy as pie' in English.  There are certain things that you need to know in order to function in society in France, and especially, in order to be treated like a normal human being by others. One of these is the importance of greetings and closings, or more specifically, the use of hello and goodbye. This may sound silly, but don’t be fooled.   It is, in my opinion, one of the most important social cues in France. And without prior cultural knowledge, there's nothing simple about it.  Hello and goodbye (bonjour and au revoir) structure your interaction with just about anyone in France.  When I get onto an elevator with a stranger, I say hello and goodbye. When I enter a store, the clerk and I both say ‘hello’ and make eye contact. And obviously, when I meet up with friends or family, I will also

Taking on l'éducation nationale

The past two weeks in France could seem strange to a tourist visiting the country: within days streets that were empty for weeks while most of the country was on vacation all of a sudden became busy again. It’s that time of year again: back to school!  La rentrée (literally the return, or rather, start of the school year) is no small matter in France. Rather than a progressive return to school over the course of a month or so (as I would describe the process in the U.S.), back to school in France happens all on the same day (September 4 this year).  This, like many other things in France, is due to high centralization and the massive establishment that is known as l’éducation nationale. In keeping with the cultural interest of this blog, I’d like to begin to dig into this beast that is l’éducation nationale. As a foreigner, I’ve been lucky to get an inside look into the school system here, both at the high school and university levels. I’m convinced, from what I’ve seen so

Getting Information in France: A Scavenger Hunt

I'm now in the always dreary and often stressful process of renewing my residence card here in France. I have to renew it every year, as this is one of the policies for non-European residents. A familiar scene happened the other day when I began to search for some answers to questions about my particular case, which requires changing the status of my residence card. My first technique was to call directly the administrative office where I would submit my application (called the préfecture ). I got no answer, even after calling four different numbers, several times. The line answering machine, however, suggested a general number, which I called promptly.  First thing after calling, it was announced that I would pay 15 cents/minute for the call, and that my waiting time was under 2 minutes. When I finally got to talk to a person, I realized that this is a general number for all of France, and not specific to my region (where procedures can be a little different). So esse