Skip to main content

Autumn Blues (English version)


With Thanksgiving coming up this week, I've been thinking a lot about the US lately, and what I miss. France in a lot of ways isn't that far culturally from the US (it's still a Western culture after all). But there's no Thanksgiving here. And not really Halloween. Also, no apple picking or apple orchards. And pumpkin flavored anything? Not a thing. French people actually tend to think pumpkin should only be restricted to salty foods and not sweet.
 
Some of my decorations to help keep the autumn spirit
And all of this got me to thinking - fall is really a celebrated season in the US. It represents a lot, there are holidays that help make it festive and build up to it. I'm sure we all have mental images of what fall brings up. The changing color of the leaves, apple cider, apple picking, choosing a Halloween pumpkin, bonfires, hayrides, etc. Sure a lot of it is idealized (I don't know if I've actually ever gone apple picking), but they are cultural images that we all share. And the more I'm here, the more I realize the weight of that shared cultural knowledge. You don't notice it, or miss it, until it's gone.   

My first year really settled here about three years ago, I was really nostalgic during fall. I kept my eyes open for and picked up colorful leaves on the ground. I made homemade fall themed decorations. And I felt a certain longing, probably much more than I ever would have felt in the US, for pumpkin spices and apple cider. Some years, like this year, the season goes by so quickly I don't notice it. And then there's trying to explain it to French people. Unless they've seen it with their own eyes, they can't really understand.

As I was complaining about my nostalgia the other day, my husband reminded me that this is part of a yearly cycle for me. Autumn is hard, I always get nostalgic, and feel better when we get to return to the US for Christmas.
  
Me dressed for Halloween as a kid
This is the kind of 'problem' that there's really no solution for. The ambiance and mythology of fall is, really, just in my mind. But I guess it can be a painful reminder, once again, that I'm not in my home country and that there's knowledge and background that I don't share with people here.

France does have some nice things to offer in the fall. For example, I found that the tree colors I miss at home can be found in the changing leaves of a vineyard. Halloween will probably never feel 'right' here to me, but fall is the wine season here and a moment of lots of festivals and fairs. In November there's the release of the Beaujolais nouveau wine which does have a certain festivity to it.

So this week as I celebrate Thanksgiving, I will most certainly be dealing with some nostalgia. Being far from family and friends, it is a strange holiday to celebrate abroad.  Slowly but sure, I'll turn the page on how I think things should be, to accept them for what they are (in a country that I do love living in, that has so much to offer). To all Americans abroad and at home, I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!
An idea of the beautiful colors you can find in vineyards, taken in the nearby Beaujolais

Comments

  1. Your thoughts on fall in the USA make me appreciate it more because of the importance it has for you! I like how you are turning your yearning into new awareness and gratitude for what you have. The pictures were fun to see!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simple comme bonjour

The title of this post Simple comme bonjour (literally 'easy as hello') is a French expression used to mean that something is easy, roughly the equivalent of 'easy as pie' in English.  There are certain things that you need to know in order to function in society in France, and especially, in order to be treated like a normal human being by others. One of these is the importance of greetings and closings, or more specifically, the use of hello and goodbye. This may sound silly, but don’t be fooled.   It is, in my opinion, one of the most important social cues in France. And without prior cultural knowledge, there's nothing simple about it.  Hello and goodbye (bonjour and au revoir) structure your interaction with just about anyone in France.  When I get onto an elevator with a stranger, I say hello and goodbye. When I enter a store, the clerk and I both say ‘hello’ and make eye contact. And obviously, when I meet up with friends or family, I will also

Taking on l'éducation nationale

The past two weeks in France could seem strange to a tourist visiting the country: within days streets that were empty for weeks while most of the country was on vacation all of a sudden became busy again. It’s that time of year again: back to school!  La rentrée (literally the return, or rather, start of the school year) is no small matter in France. Rather than a progressive return to school over the course of a month or so (as I would describe the process in the U.S.), back to school in France happens all on the same day (September 4 this year).  This, like many other things in France, is due to high centralization and the massive establishment that is known as l’éducation nationale. In keeping with the cultural interest of this blog, I’d like to begin to dig into this beast that is l’éducation nationale. As a foreigner, I’ve been lucky to get an inside look into the school system here, both at the high school and university levels. I’m convinced, from what I’ve seen so

What Language Is and Isn't

My days here in France are often spent straddling two linguistic worlds. My professional life ‘happens’ mostly in English, thinking about its mechanics, how to explain ‘x’ grammar point, and how to speak clearly to my students. My personal life revolves around French, which we speak at home.  In short, thinking about language is a large part of my day, and in this post I’d like to comment on some reflections I have about language and language learning. Since moving to France, the place of French in my life has changed. Whereas in the US it was a beautiful object to admire, to study, to practice, here it is my survival tool, my key to sorting out my life in every way from administration to asking for something in a different size in a store.  French is my lifeline. My command of it, on both a linguistic and a pragmatic level, can make or break many situations. This can sometimes put me at a disadvantage, but this is also something you have to accept as a f